What is wrong with using Gmail.com – the free version of Google’s email service? Nothing. There is definitely nothing wrong with it. In fact, I for one, cannot imagine going through a day without using my Gmail, Calendar, Photos, Google+ and of course, Google Inbox that I use as my reminder and to-do list using my personal Gmail account.
However, if you are a business owner, whether it is a small or large business, then you will want – need to be and stay professional, updated and cost-effective all at once. In addition, you need to seemlessly communicate and collaborate with both your clients and your co-workers, securely store your data, and effectively manage everything using your professional business account.
I have been using the free version of Google Apps for Work since 2010 using my professional domain name, which allows me to acces my professional email account, file storage, video meetings, online calendars, document editing and more, including Google Apps Marketplace from any location and any device absolutely free of charge.
The bad news is that as of December 6, 2012, the free version of Google Apps is no longer available to new customers. The good news is that the improved, more secure Google Apps for Work (formerly Google Apps for Business) is here to stay. So, lets get to know the benefits, costs and reasons why you should use Google Apps for Work for your business.
Benefits of Google Apps for Work
Google Apps for Work is a cloud-based productivity suite that helps you and your teams to communicate, collaborate and get things done from anywhere and on any device. Google Apps for Work has the following main benefits:
1. Gmail with domain name
You can use Gmail (and other Google products) using your professional domain name: email@example.com and get better spam protection, search, and calendar integration.
2. Cloud files and sharing
Google Drive syncs your company files and other data on your computer to the cloud securely, so you can share with your co-workers, and access them anywhere in the world using any device.
3. Built-in video conferencing
You can enjoy Google Hangouts in High Definition for up to 15 people at a time anywhere on your computer and other mobile devices that you might have.
4. Shared calendar
You can easily check your co-workers work schedule and your own, and find the right time for everyone to meet or do video conference.
5. Productivity tools
You can make collaboration easy using Google Docs, Sheets, Forms and Slides. In addition, you can manage information in Google Drive and edit files together in real-time.
6. Mobile apps
You can also use any of the native Google Apps on your iOS and Android mobile devices to be fully productive on the go.
Costs of Google Apps for Work
There are two Google Apps for Work’s plans that you can choose from (see also image above):
1. Google Apps for Work costs $5 per user per month or $50 per user per year plus tax, includes:
- Business email addresses (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Video and voice calls
- Integrated online calendars
- 30 GB of online storage for file syncing and sharing
- Online text documents, spreadsheets and slides
- Easy-to-create project sites
- Security and admin controls
- 24/7 phone and email support
2. Google Apps with unlimited storage and Vault costs $10 per user per month or $120 per user per year plus tax, includes everything in Google Apps for Work, plus:
- Unlimited Storage (or 1 TB per user if fewer than 5 users)
- Advanced admin controls for Drive
- Audit and reporting insights for Drive content and sharing
- Google Vault for eDiscovery covering emails, chats, docs and files
- Search and export to different formats easily
- Archive all emails sent by your company
- Set message-retention policies
- Place and enforce litigation holds on inboxes
Reasons why you should use Google Apps for Work
Is Google Apps for Work really worth considering? Yes, it is because in addition to the benefits of Google Apps for Work that I have just mentioned above, there are three main reason why you should use Google Apps for Work for your business:
1. Easy to use
If you already use Gmail.com and are familiar with other Google products, then you’ll get used to Google Apps for Work in a matter of seconds. The only difference is that you will need to use your own professional domain name in stead, which is exactly the point of Google Apps for Work.
2. Easy integration with your domain
There is no software to download and/or install on your computer. The only thing to do, is importing your email from your domain email accounts to your Google Apps account (and manage it). I use Bluehost for my domain names and websites, which integrates very well with my Google Apps for Work.
3. You only pay what you use
Google Apps for Work will only cost you $5 per user per month or $50 per user per year plus tax (means saving money $10 per year). That is it. There are no hidden costs or additional fees whatsoever.
Do you have anything to add regarding Google Apps for Work? Share them with us in the comment section below. Are you not yet convinced that Google Apps for Work is really for you? Click here to start your free trial.
Coupon code for 20% off
Enter this coupon code
3YK99AU4WLVX9V in the Billing section of your Admin Console to get 20% off your first year using this link.
- Click here if you are looking for the best, reliable and affordable web hosting for your business.
- Click here to try Google Apps for Work free for 30 days.